STEPHEN MINISTRY AT TRINITY LUTHERAN CHURCH
Christ caring for people through people
Trinity Lutheran Stephen Ministers are volunteers who are trained and supervised as they provide one-to-one distinctively Christian care giving to individuals who are in a difficult time because of life circumstances. This might be grief, divorce, unemployment, illness and many other things. The most important thing that Stephen Ministers do is to be a listening presence during a difficult time. Stephen Ministers faithfully meet with their care receivers on a regular basis, hold their care receivers in prayer and respect complete confidentiality. The care receiver and the Stephen Minister determine how long the caring relationship will last.
How do I know if a Stephen Minister is for me?
Stephen Ministry is appropriate for anyone whose basic coping skills are intact, but could use another’s caring presence to assist them as they journey through life’s transitions and challenges such as:
- If you are chronically or terminally ill
- Recently hospitalized and in need of support while recovering at home or in a nursing home
- Grieving the death of a loved one
- Disabled or caring for someone who is disabled
- Dealing with separation or divorce
- Lonely or discouraged
- Facing a life transition
- Experiencing a spiritual crisis
- Countless other life challenges
How do I refer someone or ask for help?
- A person – maybe you, a relative or friend is hurting and in need of Christian care.
- The Stephen Ministry Referrals Coordinator, Pastor Paul, learns about this need for care from you, a friend or from the person in need of care and only after the person in need has granted permission.
- The Referrals Coordinator, Pastor Paul, meets with the person to talk about Stephen Ministry.
- With the person’s permission, Pastor Paul assigns a Stephen Minister to meet on a weekly basis with the person.
- The Stephen Minister provides distinctively Christian and strictly confidential care.
If you would like more information on the referral process or Stephen Ministry at Trinity, please contact one of our Stephen Leaders: Pastor Paul – 252-3670, Lynn MacKenzie—255-1459, Joanne Keck – 252-1590 or Darlene Nastrom - 654-9268.